A teenager is recovering after a snake bit him on the foot as he stepped out his front door in California.
Bryce Russell, 19, was attacked by the venomous snake after he stepped out onto his front porch barefoot while looking for his car keys on August 18.
His sister killed the poisonous snake after it bit him and the teenager was rushed to the hospital. He received 24 vials of anti-venom over two days in the hospital. He is now recovering at home.
The 19-year-old has spoken about his encounter with a rattlesnake that bit him outside his home in Norco, California.
He told CBS Los Angeles: “I was going to go dirt bike riding with one of my friends so I was looking for car keys and that’s when it gets me. I was texting him and that’s when it bit me.”
Surveillance footage from the family’s home shows Russell ljumping up after the snake, which was coiled up underneath a chair on the porch, bit his foot.
Speaking to KABC, Russell said: “It didn’t really hurt to get bit, just a prick, but I definitely felt a sense of dread because you could see the venom start to inflame my foot and work its way up.”
Russell’s mother and sister are nurses and were able to provide first aid until paramedics arrived at the scene. His mother sprayed the snake with a hose to get it away from the front door so she could go back inside. His 24-year-old sister then picked up a shovel and beheaded it.
Russell said he plans to take the snake’s body to a taxidermist and make a belt out of it.
The teenager spent two days recovering at the Corona Regional Medical Center after receiving 24 vials of anti-venom. “My face, tongue and lips were kind of tingling, I guess that’s an effect of the venom,” he said.
“[My foot was] bleeding a decent amount for how small the hole was. I guess the venom kind of messes up your clotting,” he added to CBS.
The family said it is not unusual to see rattlesnakes in the area, but this was the first time that one has come so close to the home.
Watch the video below;