Home Crime Samantha Ford: Mum charged with murder of her 23-month-old twins in Margate

Samantha Ford: Mum charged with murder of her 23-month-old twins in Margate

Samantha Ford, 37, was arrested after officers discovered the young children at a property in Castle Drive, Margate at 3.35am on Thursday 27 December

A woman has been charged with the murder of her 23-month-old twins.

Samantha Ford, 37, of Castle Drive, Margate, will appear in court tomorrow after being charged with two counts of murder.

Detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate charged her with murder following the deaths of two young children in Margate.

The force said in a statement: “At around 3.35am on Thursday 27 December 2018 officers attended a property in Castle Drive, Margate due to concerns for the welfare of the occupants.

“The South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended and two young children were taken to the hospital, where they were later confirmed deceased.

“She has been remanded in custody to appear before Canterbury Magistrates’ Court on Saturday 29 December 2018.”

Ms. Ford’s brother James Emptage told The Sun: “It’s a terrible tragedy.”

Her grandmother Pamela Emptage described the situation as “absolutely tragic”.

“I’m their great-grandmother. She’s my granddaughter, Samantha. They were lovely,” she said.

“I mean they were not even two-years-old yet. It’s absolutely tragic.”

Teddy bear tribute at the scene

A neighbor, who did not want to be named, said the mum had moved into the end of terrace property around a month ago.

It’s believed she and her husband Steven had bought a home in Ashford, Kent a year ago but it’s not known if they had split up.

Yesterday, forensic teams were seen going into the £210,000 semi-detached new build and officers reportedly removed two pillows in evidence bags.

Police outside the property in Margate

“There’s a lot of young children and families around here so it really resonates for them. And it’s a horrible time of year for it to happen. I feel very sorry for the family.”

She added: “The first I knew was at 4 o’clock this morning when all the police and ambulances were here.

“They only moved in about a month ago and no one really knew them. It’s really sad.”